While guiding my manuscript through the publishing process, I gained a great deal of information that I wished I had known before starting that process. After book publication, friends asked me for advice on starting their own books. I discovered that I could use the experience I had gained and actually provide some help to my friends.
I initially called this process “New Author Helper” because I am helping new authors through several phases in the book writing and publication process from first concept through publication, plus a little marketing assistance. Now I recognize that I am a Literary Agent for new authors, with tasks including:
- Identify a format or style for their initial concept for their first book, as requested
- Provide editing and proofing assistance, as requested
- Provide ghostwriting or other assistance, as requested
- Identify appropriate publishers to query, based on the manuscript’s topic
- Represent the new author to prospective publishers
- Assist with publisher communications
- Help with final proofing of the galleys, as requested
- Provide a checklist of marketing suggestions, as requested
From my attempts to market my own book, I recognized that I’m not a very good marketer, so I leave that area to those who are experts in the field. I am happy to refer new writers to book marketers who have helped me in my process, and hopefully would be of help to them.
If you are considering writing a book, but don’t know how or where to start, please feel free to email me at Jo@Jo-Calk.com or call me at 503-819-6860 to discuss how I could be of help to you, including what types of assistance I could provide. My rates are based on the actual time spent on your project.
Even if you don’t want or need my help, I encourage you to write a book, or an article or blog. I believe that every person has unique experiences, skills, talents, and interests, and that every person has something to share with others through writing, speaking, or other venues. I hope you will be one of those who contributes your story to the collective consciousness.